I made Roast Duck using a Marcus Wareing recipe today – delicious, lovely and moist. Thank you Mr Wareing.
Mr Wareing’s recipe: http://www.greatbritishchefs.com/recipes/roast-duck-recipe-whole-duck
I did have to depart a bit as I was missing a few ingredients. Some I wished I had, especially the Madeira.
- Madeira – I substituted white wine and a little brandy. Madeira would be better.
- Leek – I added extra onion
- Star Anise & Cinnamon sticks – I substituted two tsps of 5 spice. Whole spices better but 5 spice contains both.
- Garlic & Ginger – I used a squeeze each of the fresh purees. Obviously fresh pieces would be better.
- Chillies – Added a punch of course ground dried red chilli.
The liquor didn’t thicken enough to glaze the duck for the final roasting – I suspect because there was not enough sugar without the Madeira – but it was a joy to eat: Moist with a slight kick of spice and a crispy skin. We had a weird ‘crown’ roast – poor thing was missing its back legs and arse but its going to last one more meat meal for two of us and then the bones and left over bits will make a nice soup or stock. I also have enough duck fat for a few weeks – looking forward to the roast tatties. So my £5 special offer bird will have made 6.5 meals. A lovely treat from not much more than a chicken.